Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Morris Area High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Cultural Christmas Differences

Christmas is a day to spend with our entire family: parents, grandparents, uncles, cousins, siblings, and even friends. In the U.S., Christmas includes decorating houses with Christmas lights, a Christmas tree, mistletoe, and stockings. Christmas also consists of gingerbread cookies, a Christmas feast, Christmas carols, and the arrival of Santa Claus, who brings gifts to the children. But have you ever wondered if Christmas is celebrated the same in all places, Or for the same reasons? 

In many places Christmas is celebrated because, according to religious beliefs, the baby Jesus was born. The decoration of the Christmas tree, the birth of the baby Jesus, and the Christmas lights illuminating the houses are some of the similarities of Christmas in both the U.S. and Mexico. One difference is that in Mexico, “Los Reyes Magos” appears on January 5th, as opposed to Santa Claus on December 25th. There are three “Los Reyes Magos” and their names are Melchor, Gaspar and Baltasar. Another tradition taking place in Mexico is the tradition of “Las Posadas.” In this particular tradition, several families are selected to be the godparents of the child Jesus. Christmas carols are sung during the course of the “Posadas” going from one house to another. 

Christmas carols are an important tradition in many cultures around the world. In America, the most popular Christmas carols are “Jingle Bells”, “It’s Beginning to Look Like Christmas”, “We Three Kings”, “Away in a Manger”, and “Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer”. In Mexico, the most popular Christmas carols are “Los Pastores a Belen”, “Los Peces en el Río” and “Pedir Posada.”  We also sing “My Sabanero Burrito”, “Campana Sobre Campana”, “Arre Borriquito”,  “Los Reyes Majos”, “Noche de Paz” and “El Niño del Tambor”. All nine of these traditional Christmas carols are sung in Mexico because it is said that it took nine days for Mary and Joseph to make their journey and finally take refuge in Bethlehem where the child Jesus was born.

Wherever you are, Christmas is said to be the most exciting time of the year, because we get to spend it with our entire family and make unforgettable memories.

Donate to Paw Prints

Your donation will support the student journalists of Morris Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.