Breaking News

Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Morris Area High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Fall Sports Recap 2021

Even though COVID is still affecting us, our fall athletes did great in their sports and seasons!

The C-Squad football coach was Brady Rose, the JV head coach was Tim Cannon, and the head varsity football coach was Kevin Pope. The assistant varsity coaches were Dylan Viss, Tim Cannon, Brad Fehr, Nate Copeland, Brady Rose, Neal Hoffland, and Cody Hickman. The team managers were Brady Rohloff and Tim Boettcher. Mary Bellmore was the football team’s athletic trainer. This season, 4 out of 80 people were injured (1 person for every 20). Our football team won their first playoff game 37-0 but lost their second playoff game against Pierz. 

The C-squad Volleyball coach was Chelse Elleringer, the JV coach was Alyssa Holland, and the varsity coach was Leah Peterson, who left on maternity leave. Christi Fehr filled the position of varsity volleyball coach. The volleyball team was happy to have two amazing managers, Mackenzie Anderson and Corrie Erdahl. Volleyball girls lost their first playoff game against New London Spicer. The MAHS volleyball team pushed their opponents to five sets, which was a great effort! 

The boy’s and girl’s cross country teams had a great season! Their coaches were Dale Henrich (head coach) and Kristina Bauleke (assistant coach). Girl’s Cross Country placed 5th at sections. Boy’s cross country lost two runners at the beginning of the season due to injury. Despite losing some teammates, the boys finished their season by getting 8th at sections. 

Tennis players had an outstanding season. The Tennis team got first in sections and for the first time in the history of MACAWCA tennis made it to state! The school had a special sendoff pep rally for the team. At the pep rally the tennis teams played games and talked about their season. Tennis lost both their games at state, but the team is still extremely proud of their achievements this season.

The Gators swim team, coached by Anita Nelson and Linda Hoffman, just finished their conference meet. Claire Barnstable got 2nd in diving, McKenzie Luetmer got 2nd in the 200 freestyle, Shannon Dougherty got 2nd in 50 freestyle, and Audrey Dorweiler got 2nd in the 100 butterfly. The 100 freestyle relay got 2nd place and the 400 freestyle relay team placed 3rd. Becca Femrite, who won 4th place, was noted as the All-Conference Honorable mention. The girls’ Section 6A swimming and diving will be held on Saturday, November 13, 2021, at the University of Minnesota Morris Swimming Pool. With Section 6A – Diving Prelims at 10:00 a.m. and Swimming & Diving Finals at 1:30 p.m.