Breaking News

Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Morris Area High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

2023 Fall Musical Meets an End; What’s Next?

Aftermath of the MAHS’s Fall Musical and what is next for the theater’s next performance. What is One Act?
Full Cast Photo

MAHS’s Theatre Department’s first show of the year, Disney’s “The Little Mermaid,” has gone off with a success. The show had four performances; three 7:00 pm shows taking place on November 16th, 17th, and 18th, and a 1:00 pm matinee on the 18th. Opening night on Thursday the 16th went off without a hitch. The Friday night show on the 17th proved to be the most successful in crowd size, having sold out a full house. The Saturday matinee at 1:00 pm had a wonderful crowd, which led to an even more fun meet and greet after the show. This meet and greet had autograph books, to go around and get each character’s autograph, temporary themed tattoos, vibrant colored lei necklaces, and many picture opportunities. The Saturday evening performance was the final show and definitely had the most surprises that you wouldn’t have seen at any of the other performances. 

Now that the Fall Musical is over, what is next for the MAHS’s Theater Department? The next show will be our One Act Play, which is kept under wraps until the season reaches an end. But in between the Fall Musical and One Act Play, older members of our theatre department (including directors Tysen Daugherty and Avery Frank, choreography helper Kalyssa Mae Miller, and crew/tech helpers Angela Albrecht and Abi Alcantar) helped to put on a theatre camp for 2nd-6th grade middle schoolers called Elflandia. Elflandia was all about Santa’s workshop elves meeting humans, making presents, singing, and overall having a great time. Theatre camps like Elfandia are now being organized by our high school theatre directors. Previous theatre camps through Prairie Fire (a prior theatre camp organization for young children pursuing the arts in our local community).

One Act is currently being worked on and prepared. Unfortunately, there is no information that will be revealed about the One Act show until it is closer to the performance and competition dates. One Act is a theater competition where different theater departments and schools will perform a one-act play, which they then compete against other schools’ one-act performances.