Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Morris Area High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Kylen Running Hawk Receives the National Heart of the Arts Award

MAHS is thrilled to congratulate Kylen Running Hawk who, in January, won the 2021 Heart of the Arts Award at the state level. In a ceremony streamed live from the Morris Area Schools concert hall, Kylen was honored for his achievement. Unbeknownst to Kylen, the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) surprised him by revealing that he was selected to receive not only the award at a regional level but also the National 2021 Heart of the Arts Award. In this ceremony, Kylen was recognized for his achievements in choir, speech, mock trial, the fall musical, and also for celebrating his Lakota heritage. Kylen’s teachers and directors gave brief speeches at his award ceremony and shared their memories of him. Those who know Kylen will tell you that he always has the best smile and is passionate about teaching and his heritage. 

Since Kylen is a senior, he has made the decision on which college he will attend in the fall. He plans to enroll at the University of Minnesota, Morris, and hopes to go into education while still fueling his interest in choir and theatre. Beyond college, he plans to give back to his community by becoming an educator himself. 

Whatever he ends up doing in his future, the school newspaper, Paw Prints, and Morris Area High School congratulate Kylen and wish him the best for his future endeavors.

Donate to Paw Prints

Your donation will support the student journalists of Morris Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.