Paw Prints

The Student News Site of Morris Area High School

Paw Prints

Paw Prints

Mock Trial Interview

Mock Trial is beginning its season, and we interviewed Aaron Jordan to see how the process of Mock Trial works. 

What was your inspiration for starting Mock Trial? “It’s been several years since our school has had a Mock Trial program, and I wanted to be able to give students an opportunity to learn about how the justice system really works.”

Can you explain the process of going through a case? “Each year, we get a new case and materials that go with it. In those case materials is either a civil or criminal case and also the law that we’re required to use for Mock Trial. We read the new case materials, including the new case facts and we apply the law, and start to come up with the opening statements, closing statements, and direct and cross-examination of each witness.”

What is your favorite part of being a part of Mock Trial? “Usually when students first read the case, they have a very clear idea of whether the defendant is guilty or not, or whether there is liability from the defendant. As the season progresses, the students begin to realize that it’s not as simple as they first thought. It’s fun for me to see that lightbulb turn on when students realize that there are wrinkles in the case that they hadn’t originally thought of.”

Why should teens join Mock Trial? “There are several different reasons. Some kids want to join because they think that they might want to be a lawyer, but others just want to learn a little more about the justice system. It’s a great opportunity for kids to learn the ins and outs of how our justice system really works, and not how it’s portrayed on TV or in the media.”

As a lawyer, what advice would you give to students aspiring to be in the same career field as you? “Kids who want to look at being a lawyer someday really need to focus on their reading comprehension. Grammar, vocabulary – lawyers love to read. They’re curious about the law and how the government works. That’s the place where people should start. The nice thing about the law is that any career path you choose can lead to law. When you’re trying a college major you don’t need to pick anything in particular. For example, you could pick engineering, art, English, history – really anything you want, but I would suggest that if you really do have an interest in being a lawyer, you should select a pre-law track in college so that you can take a few classes that will prepare you for law school on top of the degree that you’re pursuing.”

With year two of Mock Trial starting up in a flash, we are excited to see where the team is headed. Good luck this year!

Donate to Paw Prints

Your donation will support the student journalists of Morris Area High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.